Some auto accident injuries may resolve or heal in a matter of days even in the absence of medical treatment. More severe injuries may become permanent and, in some cases, can lead to physical disability.
The severity and type of injuries suffered by passengers and drivers involved in an auto accident depending on whether:
- The person had worn a seat belt
- The vehicle was hit from the side, rear, or front
- The collision a high-speed or a low-speed crash
- The vehicle had airbags
There are two major categories of auto accident injuries, namely: penetrating injuries and impact injuries. Penetrating injuries typically are scrapes and cuts. Shattered glass pieces flying in the vehicle on impact can cause these injuries.
Impact injuries on the other hand occur when ones hits part of the vehicles interior. Often, one can hit the head or the knee on the dashboard.
After getting involved in an auto accident and sustaining injuries, you may not know what to do next. You may have the idea that you probably require to file an injury claim with your insurer. However, if you haven’t experienced this position before, you might not know how to file an accident claim or your rights. Hiring an experienced auto accident lawyer takes the burden off your shoulders.
A reasonable auto accident lawyer will do the following on your behalf.
- Investigate your accident; Auto accidents may be complex or simple, and you need to investigate who was at fault and who should compensate you for losses or injuries. You require evidence to show that the other party caused the accident and your claim value. A reputable lawyer has the expertise to efficiently carry out a thorough investigation into an auto accident to avail the much-needed evidence to support your claim.
- Communicating with the other party’s insurer; In personal injury cases, lawyers communicate with insurance adjusters for the other parties involved. Adjusters have notebooks, and thus, the lawyers should communicate appropriately and have a good rapport with the adjuster.
- Assist you in understanding the law; The law about property damage and personal injuries complex. It requires proper knowledge of the law, insurance, and your rights to be able to pursue compensation, especially if an at-fault driver or an insurer is fighting back, to escape payment for your injuries.
- Handle your insurance claims process; In some instances, insurers try to take advantage of the clients lack of knowledge of the law or make things difficult for them. Hiring an auto accident attorney to represent you ensures that the insurer does not delay claims, give inadequate offers, or violate your rights.
- Protect your rights; Working with an experienced accident attorney who knows your rights guarantees an advocate who can recognize unlawful and unfair situations and act to rectify them.
- Represent you in court; Some vehicular accidents may not be resolved fast by filing an insurance claim. In some cases, one may need to file an injury lawsuit to get the appropriate compensation; This can be difficult if you have no prior legal experience. Nonetheless, a lawyer can handle administrative tasks and the paperwork for you. Moreover, they can attend the required court appearances during your case. You thus only have to appear in court for specific hearings.
- Negotiate a settlement; Insurance claims approval does not necessarily guarantee you a reasonable and fair offer right away. Most insurance companies will offer an inadequate initial offer to minimize the claim value. They hope that you accept the initial request to save them money and time. Nonetheless, a car accident lawyer can know your appropriate claim value and can help negotiate fair compensation.